Welcome to Ventana Studios OnLine.


Originally, the focus of this site was to be centered mainly around Matte Painting, Illustration and Concept Art. At the time, my goal was to someday be creating digital artwork and CG environments for film, television, commercials, print and interactive media. It soon became apparent that I would need a better foundation in traditional arts if I wanted to be successful in that field. I have temporarily shifted my focus and am currently concentrating on the basics. The site will now focus on those efforts and whatever it is I'm working on at the time.

Hopefully, this website will serve as both a personal portfolio and resource for other aspiring artists.

Please view my portfolio by clicking on the category links to the left.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

It's a Video and Practice day.

I added a new image to the gallery. It's a "Day to Night" scene called Night Falls.  It's based on a earlier primitive piece of mine, one of my first attempts at matte painting . Check it out.  See what a little practice will do for you?

Yep, practice, practice, practice... that's the advice I hear all the time... so that's what I did this weekend.  I spent Friday and a good part of Saturday re-watching some matte painting tutorial videos.

Without a doubt, whenever the question "Hey, what training DVD's should I buy" comes up in the matte painting forums, Dylan Cole, Dusso and Stoski are sure to get a lot of mention.  Make no mistake, their DVD's are top notch and informative but one guy you hardly ever hear mentioned is Christian Lorenz Scheurer.   Most of my time this weekend was spent watching his video's.   On his first DVD, "An introduction to Digital Painting", he covers the different types of perspective, ways to create new shapes, color match and turn them into elements on a plate.  One major difference in his video's is that most of the work is done in real time.  I like that.  I can see what layer he's on, what tools he's using and what settings he's using.  He does explain all these things but for an old guy like me, the visual reference is a great bonus.  He takes the time to explain the basics and the videos are full of little bits and pieces of info that will help you achieve that look of realism in your work.  For example,  I now know why the sky is blue.  Sorry, but if you wanna know, you're just gonna have to get his DVD's.

Check out this video interview he did for CG Channel where he talks about his art.

Oh, and BTW, here's a look at the early primitive piece i mentioned.  Check out the gallery for a better look at the new one.

OK, ok, here's why the sky is blue... Air contains a blue colored gas called hydrogen. The further you look into the distance, the more hydrogen
molecules stack up behind each other and the bluer it looks.   So, next time you hear "Daddy, why is the sky blue?" you'll know the answer but buy his DVD's anyway.  There's a lot more good stuff in them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Modified by and for Ventana studios